Skip to content
Elmira Station Museum
Our Island Story
one historic museum, seven sites
“The Prince Edward Island Museum & Heritage Foundation, the provincial museum system, opens doors to our past.”
A JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
Known as the end of the line for those traveling east on Prince Edward Island, Elmira Station became an important part of railroading on the Island in the early 1900’s. Opening in 1912, during the last major extension on the rail line, the station became a beehive of activity.
The yard featured five rail spurs, an engine house, a 200-foot coal shed, a barn, bunkhouse and shacks for the conductors and engineers. Only the wooden station house, the platform, freight shed and three master’s office has been re-created with maps and artifacts, such as the telegraph, which was often used at Elmira as passengers came and went.
The station was unusual in that it had two waiting rooms, one for men and one for women. The men’s was primarily used for playing cards, and later, the women’s was converted into a baggage area. The two rooms now house thematic displays that illustrated various facets of railway life.
Header button label:360 Virtual Tour Video
360 Virtual Tour Video
Start Your Historic Exploration Today!
Ribbon button label:GET STARTED
457 Elmira Road, Elmira RR 1, PE C0A1K0